WDW Countdown

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Monday, September 22, 2008

First Field Trip to the Orchard


Samantha's Class

Her buddy Ellie

It has been less than a month since I have begun the privilege of staying home with Samantha. Last week I was able to attend her field trip with her class to the apple orchard. We had the BEST time! Sami was really looking forward to riding the bus! However, she quickly changed her mind once we started hitting bumps! She also thought it was really weird to not be wearing seat belts!!

We went to Mowry's Apple Orchard in Crown Point, In. It was small and family owned which was wonderful. It wasn't commercialized like other orchards we've been too which I really appreciated!







We started the morning learning about how bees help the apples to grow. The children also saw how honey is made and had the chance to try some fresh honey!

From there we went into the barn where the children learned what type of apples are grown at this orchard. They also learned how to tell if apples are ripe, and ready for picking. They learned the proper technique for picking...did you know you twist??? I've always pulled! Oops!! They also learned they do not spray their apples, so all they had to do was dust them off by rubbing them on their pants and they could enjoy apples right in the field!!! Sami thought this was great and ate two apples before we got back to the bus!!!
There were many other surprises for us on the trip...Johnny Appleseed made an appearance! We also were able to sample cider and some other yummy treats made from apples.



There is no where else I would have rather been!!!!

2 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

I'm so glad that you have the opportunity to stay home & enjoy these special days with Sami!

I need to get over to Mowry's and get some apples; it's time to spend a day making applesauce & apple pie filling. Although it'll be an adjustment trying to do this with Alex...

Jennifer Fase said...

There's no other place I would have wanted to be either. It was a great day! I just wish we could have formed our own group!

I'm so glad you realize staying home with Sami is a privilege. I look at my life as 32 weeks on, 20 weeks off. It stinks, but I guess it works and it could certainly be worse!