WDW Countdown

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Monday, March 23, 2009

Maple Sugar Time

Last weekend we took Samantha to Chelberg Farm to experience Maple Sugar Time. I think my mom took us almost every year. It was something I always enjoyed, so I wanted to share it with her!

I love living so close to the National Lakeshore. There are always fun activities going on, and this event wasn't any different. They had a booklet the children could work on while they toured the farm. If they completed it they would earn a Junior Ranger badge! How fun!!!

Our first stop was to learn how the Native Americans tapped the trees to get the sap. Sam was slightly disappointed because I told her there would be real Indians there talking to us, and it was just volunteers. (They have more authentic activities in the fall for Harvest Time.) Then it was off to learn about the pioneers way, and finally how the Chelberg's built a sugar shack.
The day we were there was perfect weather for the sap to be running, so we were able to peek into the buckets and seeing it flowing. Sam even tapped a tree!

As we walked up to the Chelberg's house I was giving her a Sami sized history lesson on the Chelberg family. The most interesting part for her was they immigrated from Sweden...just as her American Girl doll did! =) Her she sampled REAL maple syrup fresh from the farm as well as the store bought variety. They were asked to guess which was which, and she figured it out right away! However she did prefer the store bought variety! Go figure!

I had a lot of fun sharing this place with her. I also enjoyed telling her about the chamber pots! Matt told her it was the youngest child's job to empty them each day to which she replied..."Good thing I won't be the youngest much longer!" =)

2 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

What a good sense of humor she has to think of that cute little comment! :)

I've never heard of Chelberg Farms. Is there a website that has info on the stuff that goes on up there?

Kat said...

www.nps.gov/indu is the site for all of the stuff that goes on at or around the dunes. There are links for Chellburg/Bailey Homestead...
There is also a calendar of events link I believe.
=)

You can go there anytime and walk around...the homes just aren't open to look in, but the trails are nice.