WDW Countdown

www.MyVacationCountdown.com Ticker

Friday, January 15, 2010

Seriously??? She's 6 months old?


Our little Skylar is 6 months old! Where oh where has the time gone???

I took Sky to her 6 month check up with Dr. Brewer 2 weeks ago. She is 16 lbs and 24 1/2 inches long.

This checkup was slightly overwhelming to me. I think in my head I thought I would hear "Ok she weighs this...is she doing this and this...now she can eat this..." But that isn't exactly how it went.

Skylar has eczema which we keep up with pretty well with lotion, perfume and dye free detergents, etc. However with the winter weather it seems to have gotten worse. During this visit she was even broken out on her scalp!!!! :/ She is such a WONDERFUL baby though she never complains! So we were given a new lotion to try (which thankfully she had a full size sample) and she will be rechecking her skin in 2 weeks to see if there is any marked improvement.






When Dr. Brewer looked in Skylar's ears she noticed that both were infected!!!! I felt SO terrible! She hasn't had a fever or really fussed! She had one night that she cried, but it was New Year's Eve and we all stayed up late...so we assumed she was exhausted. Guess we were wrong! I know that ear infections are super common, but its hard to hear that your child has been sick for awhile and you didn't even notice.



I'm pretty sure I have mentioned how much I LOVE Skylar's pediatrician Dr. Brewer before, but in case you haven't gotten the message...she's great! =) She spends so much time with each family, and always asks you questions about how things are at home with siblings, etc. I am glad that I am so comfortable with her because it made the next few minutes easier.
Matthew and I had been noticing Skylar's right eye tilting in. It wasn't all the time, so we thought maybe she was sleepy or trying to focus. Dr. Brewer noticed the same thing, so she referred her to an opthamologist. We went to Dr. Taglia 2 days later and I was surprisingly calm. I give all that credit to God because I knew He would be taking care of this precious gift he gave us no matter what the doctor had to say. She got her eyes dilated (which might I add she didn't cry or even wince...what a trooper) and had he examined her a few times over the next hour and a half. The outcome? She has a "false lazy eye" (it has a technical term, but I'm not a doctor so I forget what it was!) which basically means it looks like her eye is lazy, but it is NOT!!!! I've been teasing that it is just "sluggish"! =) In reality it is just the way her eyes are shaped and its giving a false appearance. Phew! Thank you God!!!!
We did get some positive news during her well baby check up though! Her labial adhesion seems to be healing with the new medication. We are trying very hard to avoid surgery, so that was great news!!!
So here is some fun stuff she is doing:
She sits REALLY well on her own
She creeps EVERYWHERE because she has found it is faster than crawling. She looks like a little snake! (I'm realizing I don't have any pictures of that...next time ;) )
She loves to play in the excersaucer and jumperoo. She also still enjoys the swing. The other day she scooted over to it and tried to push it from underneath. I took that as a sign that she wanted to get in! Ha!
She continues to sleep through the night, and take 2 naps a day.
She has moved on to stage 2 baby food. She isn't too sure about it yet, but that is fine with us as she gets the bulk of her nutrition from her bottles. She drinks 3 7oz. bottles a day. We are still using Similac Isomil Advance, however the doctor has encouraged me to also use the Target brand as they are the exact same thing!
This post has gotten rather long, so I think I will do another post with more fun pictures of her later! =)


3 comments:

MamaDuck76 said...

It's so hard to find out your little one needs extra tests or that you missed something :( I'm thankful it turned out to be just fine. Yay, God!

What an easy baby - 3 bottles a day & a good night's sleep. Nice!

I can't believe how mobile she is...hopefully Max won't feel the need to move so soon! ;)

What lotion did Dr. Brewer recommend? We tried the sample from Jen, but it has done nothing for either of my boys. Desonide is the only thing that works, but we have to apply it every single day. I'm curious to know how this new lotion works for Sky!

It's so easy to miss an ear infection...you're a GOOD mom; don't beat yourself up over it, especially if she gave you no signs of a problem.

Kat said...

Thanks Dawn! It's tough when you feel like you are doing everything you can, and sometimes things just aren't perfect.

The lotion is called Itch X its in a yellow and red bottle. Its just 1% hydrocortisone, but it seems to be working! Her face no longer looks like I threw hot oil on it, so that is an improvement!!!

Yeah Jen's stuff didn't work for Skylar either. Sami's thankfully hasn't been too terrible this year...hopefully it stays that way!

Emma Hamstra said...

Love my little Skylar :)